What do you guys think about Efrim Waite's second album?

I kind of wonder why it is considered controversial. I’m not a metal fan or whatever genre this guy’s music is, but I know enough about other types of music to know that if you were part of a band with a “dedicated cult following”, you really need to do something out there in order for an album to be called controversial.

Either this guy started writing extremely political lyrics, or this is a 2 hour acoustic folk album.

2 Likes

I’ve been a fan of Polysemic Sortilege since their prog rock days. The only reason Efrim is ever “controversal” is because they don’t play the game and people hate them for their success #basedEfrim

2 Likes

idunno, second albums have a tendency to be badly received in general. People set expectations for the band in the first, and get upset when the second ablum isn’t what they wanted :person_shrugging:

Happened to King Crimson, Gun’s & Roses, Franz Ferdinand, U2… the list goes on and on. There’s also plenty of second albums who were received better, but hey. Doesn’t take much for people to invent a general rule like “second albums are always worse”, true or not.

OAG&S slapped anyway, I don’t understand why people didn’t love it

1 Like

I wonder if the pre-release copy was a bit more explicit about Waite’s thoughts about Djebarri and that whole sad situation? I mean, the timing was spot on - Djebarri disappeared and then died, then the album came out…

Wait, Djebarri disappeared? I can’t find anything about this on Omnipedia. And now Waite themself has disappeared? :scream:

1 Like

It’s in the stub about Polysemic Sortilege, Djebarri went missing and died back in 2033.

2 Likes

Nadira Bentoumi and Rokaya Toussaint better stay safe.

2 Likes

Big fan of Polysemic Sortilege here, forever wondering what the “life-changing experience” in 2019 was, that shaped the so-called “hounting and hounted roots” of the band.

Regarding Efrims second solo Album, I’m still salty that Xu received an unedited pre-release version of it, I’d give a pinky toe to listen to that just once! Anyway, it’s called “Of Altars & Graves & Sacrifices” and I wonder if they knew that Djebarri was about to get murdered (possibly sacrificed?) and implemented that in the lyrics. No surprise that it got removed after and a possible involvement of Efrim was investigated.
So I guess, that also contributed to it being called controversial?
Definitely want to find out more abt that and I sure hope they’re well wherever they are.

3 Likes

Idk but the way it’s worded, I think the Album may have been published before Djebarris death.

" Waite’s second album, Of Altars & Graves & Sacrifices, was released in 2033. Following the death of Djebarri in August 2033 and investigations into Waite’s involvement, Of Altars & Graves & Sacrifices was removed from all major distribution platforms, which has made it into one of the most widely pirated albums of all time."

1 Like